When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Pop vinyls are all the rage right now, and with good reason! They’re cute, collectible, and a fun way to show your love for your favorite characters and movies.
With the growing popularity of these figures, more and more fake versions are hitting the market. So, how can you tell if your pop vinyl is real?
In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips on how to tell if a pop vinyl is fake.
12 Ways to Tell If a Pop Vinyl is Fake
Here are the 12 ways you can detect the fake pop vinyl:
1. Check the Packaging
One of the easiest ways to tell if a pop vinyl is fake is to check the packaging. If the packaging is of poor quality, or if it doesn’t match with other pop vinyls you’ve seen, then chances are it’s a fake.
2. Look for Build Quality
Another way to tell if a pop vinyl is fake is to look for build quality issues. If the figure itself is of poor quality, with a sloppy paint job or poorly-fitting parts, then it’s likely a fake.
For example, a fake pop might have paint that is dripping or running, while a real pop will have clean, sharp lines.
3. Inspect the Molding and Sculpting
When inspecting the molding and sculpting of pop vinyl, you’re looking for two things – accuracy and quality. If the molding and sculpting of the figure don’t match the real thing, or if it looks cheaply made, then it’s probably a fake.
4. Check for an Official Stamp of Approval
One way to ensure that your pop vinyl is legitimate is to check for an official stamp of approval. Many companies that produce pop vinyls will put a stamp on the bottom of the figure to show that it’s an official product.
5. Compare Prices
When it comes to pop vinyls, you usually get what you pay for. If you find a figure that’s significantly cheaper than others on the market, it’s likely a fake.
For example, a pop vinyl is worth $100 and if you find the same pop being sold for $50, then it is most likely a fake.
One way to tell if a pop vinyl is fake is by checking the coloring. If the colors on the figure are off, or if the paint job is poor, then it’s likely that the figure is a fake.
For example, authentic pop vinyls will have consistent, sharp, and even colors, while fake pop vinyls might have blotchy or dull colors
7. Check for the Serial Number
pop vinyls have a serial number on the bottom. If the figure doesn’t have a serial number, or if the serial number has been scratched off, then it’s probably a fake.
8. Pay Attention to Details
When looking at a pop vinyl, pay attention to the small details. If the figure is missing details, or if the details don’t match the real thing, then it’s probably a fake.
For example, if you’re looking at a pop vinyl of Batman, and the figure is missing the Bat symbol on his chest, then it’s a fake one.
9. Be Aware of Seller / Location
One of the best ways to avoid getting a fake pop vinyl is to be aware of where you’re purchasing from. If you’re buying from an unknown seller on a site like eBay, there’s a greater chance that the figure is fake. because most of the listings on eBay are from China.
If the seller is based in China or Hong Kong, the pop vinyl is likely fake. These countries have a reputation for producing fake products and selling them online.
So, if you’re looking to buy a pop vinyl, it’s best to avoid sellers from these countries
10. Box Details:
Be sure to check the box for any inconsistencies as well. For example, if the font on the box is different from other pop boxes, or if the dimensions of the box are off, then it’s likely that the figure inside is a fake.
11. License Agreement:
Be sure to check for a license agreement on the box. If there is no mention of a license agreement, or if the agreement is from an unknown company, then it’s likely that the figure is a fake.
12. Pop Does not Fit Properly in Packaging:
If the pop you receive does not fit properly in the packaging, it is most likely a fake. This is because the fakers do not have the proper molds to make an accurate pop. As a result, the figure may be too small or too big for the packaging, and it will not fit snugly inside.
Tips to avoid buying fake pop vinyl:
- Do your research on the different types of sellers (e.g. check feedback, reviews, etc.)
- Compare prices between different sellers
- If possible, purchase from a seller that offers a warranty or guarantee
- Inspect the figure closely before purchasing
- Be aware of any red flags (e.g. poor packaging, bad reviews, etc.)
- If you’re still not sure if a pop vinyl is fake or not, then the best thing you can do is ask the seller questions. the legitimate seller should be able to answer any questions you have about the figure.
- If you’re not sure about a figure, then it’s always a good idea to get a second opinion from someone who knows more about pop vinyls.
- If you have a gut feeling that something is wrong, then it’s best to trust your instinct and avoid the figure.
- If you’re buying pop vinyl online, it’s important to know the seller. Do some research on the seller, and make sure they’re reputable. If you can’t find anything about them, or if they have mostly negative reviews, it’s best to avoid buying from them.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you’re getting a real pop vinyl figure.
In conclusion, When looking to buy a pop vinyl figure, be sure to do your research to avoid buying a fake pop vinyl. Don’t forget to check the seller’s feedback, compare prices, and inspect the figure closely. If something feels off, then it’s probably best to avoid the figure. Use your intuition and trust your gut!
- What if I get a fake pop vinyl?
If you think you’ve received a fake Pop vinyl figure, the best thing to do is contact the seller and ask for a refund. If the seller is unwilling to issue a refund, then you can contact Pop directly and ask for their help.
- How can I tell if my Funko product is genuine?
The best way to tell if a Funko product is genuine is by checking for a license agreement on the box. If there is no mention of a license agreement, or if the agreement is from an unknown company, then it’s likely that the figure is a fake.
- What is a Funko Pop vinyl flocked figure?
A Funko Pop vinyl flocked figure is a figure that has been coated with a soft, furry material. This material helps to create a more realistic look for the figure.
- Have there been known counterfeits of Funko Pops?
There have been known counterfeits of Funko Pops, but the best way to avoid them is by doing your research. Check the seller’s feedback, compare prices, and inspect the figure closely. If something feels off, then it’s probably best to avoid the figure. Use your intuition and trust your gut!